Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Guess I'll Go Eat Worms

I've talked before about leaving bread crumbs. Leave a comment on someone else's blog, the rest will follow. One bread crumb leads to a comment on your own blog, several comments on several other's blogs, leads to a slight jump in your own readership. And so forth and so on.

I signed up with Feedburner a few weeks ago and had 12 subscribers. I now have zero. A big, fat, annoying
ZERO.
My hit counter is suffering from a mild case of the flu and I still don't understand this whole world of blogging.

I was told, "Get out there, read other's blogs, leave a polite comment, and your readership will swell." Leave comments so others can find your own blog. That's what I was told.

As soon as I stopped reading other's blogs and leaving comments, it seems no one came back. I simply don't have time. So....do I spend my time reading and commenting? Or posting on my own blog?

What's the point? If people are merely going to read my blog as a way of leaving a bread crumb, why am I even doing all this?

Sigh. To make money. I started all this because I heard you could bank on it. I haven't made jack. I dipped into the $300 lottery money so I could get groceries today--see next post.

It almost sickens me to hear that people are making real (and good) money off their blog. Maybe I should write a book instead. At least if it didn't sell, I'd have a nifty souvenir and Christmas gifts for everyone.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I am struggling with my readership, too, and the only way I can keep people coming back is to comment on their site...Good luck! (By the way, I've had just about the same luck as you with making money on my blog. I've banked a whopping $11 so far...lol).

joen05 said...

Don't worry about it, we've all had our ups and downs... I'm going to try to send some traffic your way in my next post! (I've banked a whopping $15.05 from adsense...$25 from auctionads - but that was a flat giveaway for signing up. check it out on my site if you want!)

Stephanie said...

I agree...it comes & goes. You are famous now though! you should get some extra hits from that.

whatagem said...

Me--80 from AdSense in 1 yr and ZERO from Comission Junction in three months. That's my TOTAL HA HA!!!! I was gonna check out auctionads and Pay Per Post and that chick on Joen05's blog that has the bet going to make money on her own blog but I haven't had time.

Trying to clean up blog (see the drop down menus) so I can get some really neat worth-clicking-on-ads but again, no time!

You guess really encourage me here and I thank you for it! Maybe this weekend I'll get a spare few minuets to visit y'alls blogs.